Monday, June 14, 2010

Weekend fun

Well, I've made it through another weekend, and Monday morning is nearly upon me. I decided to write a few short things before I turn in for the evening.

The play was okay. It was called "The Red Box", and while I didn't hate it, I didn't love it, either. It was about a brother and sister who had come home for the reading of their parent's will- and the sister put a red sandbox in the living room. They bickered, swore, and argued about it for awhile, each separately playing in it. (I believe they were supposed to be 20 somethings.) Finally, when it came time to sell the house, they decided the sandbox should stay since it was the first happy thing that had been in it. It was a rather short show- only about 1 hour and 10 minutes. I did like it, but it certainly didn't catch my attention the same way that "Let's Play Two" did last year. It'd be hard to top a show like that!

This weekend went pretty well. I made toast, eggs, hashbrowns, and turkey bacon both Saturday and Sunday for breakfast, along with orange juice. We had lunch on Saturday at Friendly's, and then after our snack on the train ride, we came home and just enjoyed cold sandwiches, pretzels, carrot sticks, and milk.

Today, I made crockpot beans for a birthday party we attended for Scott's (and my) step-sister (my step-sister-in-law). It was nice. We bought Kaite a bouquet of flowers and gave her a little money to buy a book or something with. (She likes to read.) Wayne and Karen also had BBQ ham sandwiches, macaroni and cheese, chips, cake, and ice cream.

It was really (and I mean REALLY) hot and humid, so we ate quickly before retreating back indoors where the air conditioning was running.

Tonight, we haven't done a whole lot. We made chicken on the grill with a BBQ rub. I bought a few ears of corn, and cut the kernels off the cob, added some zucchini slices, along with salt and pepper and a drizzle of olive oil and put those on the grill in a foil packet. We also had a nice crunchy salad. Chocolate pudding was for dessert.

Later on, we took a walk around town and came back roasting hot. lol We've had the air conditioner on since and I'm sure we'll run the little one in the bedroom tonight. It's not even terribly hot right now, it's just incredibly humid.

On another note, our Dutch Train ride went very well. Jim Thorpe is a very pretty little town, although when we were down there, it was jam packed with people. It was hard finding a parking place- we ended up paying 5 bucks to park in this big giant lot.

After waiting in a line, we did board the train and had a nice time on the ride. We were first served soda (I had Diet Coke, hubby had Birch Beer), then they passed out little containers with the following contents: 2 pieces ring bologna, 2 squares of sweet Lebanon bologna, 2 pieces of Muenster cheese, 2 pieces of Swiss cheese, 3 green olives, and 4 pickle slices. They passed out little bags of pretzels next, but hubby and I were pretty full, so I packed those in my purse. We were also given sliced of Shoo-Fly Pie, which I didn't care much for- hubby happily ate the rest of my slice. lol

The scenery was beautiful going down the Lehigh River gorge. We saw many happy young people taking whitewater rafting trips down the gorge. They waved enthusiastically, and we waved back, just as happy to see them as they were to see us. Funny how under different circumstances we wouldn't have given each other a second glance. Being away from the public eye turns everyone back into friendly kids again. lol

We went through a fairly long tunnel- very dark, which obviously was no surprise, and I'm happy to say that the mountain stayed put till we were finished with our journey. The last thing you want is a tunnel collapsing on you. It's the last thing I want, anyway. lol

On the way home, it started raining pretty good and many areas looked as though they had had pretty rough storms. It did not rain on the train ride, and for that I am incredibly grateful. It would have been VERY hot and sticky without the windows up.

Well, I suppose that is all for today. I hope you had a nice weekend. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to comment on my blog post. Thanks for reading! :)