Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Buttermilk Pie and dirty dishes

Well, not a whole lot happened today. Work was pretty hectic, but that's par for the course when it comes to Monday's in June.

I balanced the checkbook and paid a few bills before going to let the dogs out at Wayne and Karen's house, since they are on vacation this week.

When I did get home, I cleaned up the dishes from last night and took the trash out, because the whole house was starting to smell like it. Yuck!!!

I made a Buttermilk pie tonight, and I think I'll list the recipe. It was very easy to make and it tastes great. I must admit that I add a lot more lemon juice than what the recipe calls for. I believe the original recipe calls for about a tablespoon of lemon juice. I used 4 times that much, plus a little splash extra. I love lemon flavor!

After making the pie, I washed a load of clothes, did the dishes, and cleaned up the kitchen area in general.

Right now I'm very very warm. This laptop is hot on my lap, and I'm in a jumper and t-shirt, which seem very heavy right now, though I know they are both lightweight.

I may cut this post a little short- I need to get this laptop off of me!

This recipe was originally posted at the Sugarpie Farmhouse Site.

Southern Buttermilk Pie

Crust
  • 2 1/2 cups Flour (All Purpose Unbleached)
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1 teaspoon sugar
  • 3 Tablespoons cold milk
  • 2/3 cup vegetable oil
Place dry ingredients in bowl, and use a whisk to mix together. Add milk and vegetable oil, stirring till dough forms a ball (do not over mix, or you'll have a tough crust). Pat into the bottom and up the sites of a pie pan. Crimp the edges for a festive touch with your thumb and fingers!

Filling
  • 1 1/4 cups sugar
  • 3 tablespoons flour
  • 4 eggs, whisked
  • 1 cup buttermilk
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla
  • 1 stick butter, melted and cooled
  • 1 tablespoon lemon juice**
  • 1 tablespoon lemon zest
  • pinch of grated Nutmeg
Combine flour and sugar. Stir in eggs and buttermilk, till blended. Add in melted butter, vanilla, lemon juice, lemon zest, and nutmeg. Pour in unbaked pie shell. Bake at 425 for 15 minutes. Reduce heat to 350 and bake 40 minutes longer.

Let cool completely, then keep in refrigerator.

** I use a LOT more lemon juice- usually 4 tablespoons or so. Add to suit your family's taste.

My finished pie was supposed to be pictured below. Unfortunately, after taking a few pictures, I thought I'd be able to figure out how to put up a photo. However, there are about 460 pictures on the card, so I don't really know how to pick and choose to only download 1 or 2. Frankly, I am angry that I don't know how to do this. :-/

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to comment on my blog post. Thanks for reading! :)